Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A little chopped salad...

Ok, I'm posting my attempt to recreate a salad I had out at lunch with the mrs.

If anyone went out to eat with me very often, they would notice that I tend to try new things on a menu. Well we were out at a place that serves tacos and such, but I noticed this chopped salad that sounded pretty good. It had cabbage, avocado, radish and jicama in what seemed to me to be a cumin scented vinaigrette. With some grilled mahi mahi on the side it was so good!

Several weeks later I was cooking and remembered this salad and decided to try and recreate it. Well one might say that I am missing several main ingredients from that salad, but I just went with what I had in the fridge. I chopped up some jicama, celery, carrot, red pepper, green onions and jalapeño. Then I just made up a simple cumin vinaigrette as I often do, and I think you should as well. I don't want to pour something out of a bottle onto the veggies that I had just worked with. 

It was pretty spicy with a whole jalapeño so I cut that in half. It's obviously not the same but I thought it turned out pretty tasty.
Chopped Veggie Salad

1/2 jicama, peeled and diced
1 celery, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced

1/2 lime, squeezed
1 T red wine vinegar
1/4 t ground cumin
salt and pepper
2 T olive oil

Serves 2

Mix together the veggies in a bowl. 
In a small bowl, mix lime juice, vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. 
Whisk in the olive oil slowly to make a simple vinaigrette. 
Taste for seasoning and pour enough dressing over veggies 
to coat, and mix well.

Have you ever tried to recreate something that you have had while dining out?

No comments:

Post a Comment